Many of you frequent readers have read my rambles about the future and my wish to become a hippie and travel, explore the U.S.A. Truth is that I don't really see myself merging into this society and become a useful aspect of it. The 9 tot 5 working things is just not in my blood, my blood only starts boiling when I think about exploring the world, being free. This is closely related to my love of steampunk, where you have to try and survive after the world as we know it back in the Victorian age collapsed in one way or another. I think I would do good exploring, helping out with inventing things, planning trips and trying to figure out the best way to proceed from certain points as our airship has crashed on an uncharted floating island.
Unfortunately, life these days is not so glamorously adventurous, there is not even an middle of nowhere in this country because we only got somewhere and everything is owned by somebody. Right now I just want to pull a Chris McCandless, excluding the Alaska and dying from starvation. There is a VW van calling my name, begging me to drive it through America with others, smoking pot, making music, writing semi-intellectual or philosophical bullcrap. I just want to live and be loved but nothing more. No expectations then being a considering person. I don't believe I can make it far is this knowledge economy, college drives me crazy one way or another and I am not someone who really wants to live by the rules because these rules don't tell me anything and half of the time those who tell me the rules and want me to abide them don't do it themselves, making the rules just very hypocritical.
If only I would get paid to just be me and be awesome and write about it, film it or document it with crappy photographs I would be willing to do so. There is just nobody who is interested in some Dutch girl with mediocre talents to support her in an adventure of epic proportions, perhaps even her whole life. Before I know it I am 30, sitting on the couch with my mediocre partner, paying bills and taxes and working from 9 tot 5 or even more just to be able to live. If I want life to happen, it has to happen now and I, myself, have to make it happen. There is nobody who will tell me that I have to do these things, there is nobody who will throw money at my feet saying "go have your long life travelling adventure, have fun." I should have taken up the Island Protection things in Australia where they basically had a contest to send somebody to a uninhabited island in the ocean to document his or her year there and it would be fully pair for.
Sometimes it doesn't seems so bed to really live in your own fantasy world, for me it would make things so much better. Get myself a fictional job and live the life I want instead of trying to become something I am not.
So, who are you gonna sell to get the rest of your life paid?
No comments:
Post a Comment