Saturday, 18 December 2010

And Then There Was More Snow

You might be wondering why I keep going on about snow, while for some of you it is a rather common phenomenon, reoccurring every year again around the same time.  I live somewhere, where even when snow is predicted it won't snow at all and the sky with be clear. Around here we have to rule to never trust the weather forecast, always expect the opposite of what they predict. So when they predicted heavy snowfall we shrugged it off "it will never happen." How wrong we were.

Today would have been my last day of college for the year and we would be all off to celebrate Christmas and all those force-fed family traditions. Because I got a bit of prepaid to waste before my subscription kicks in, I decided to text my sister about how I didn't want to get out of bed while I knew she was already in college. After a few text she told me that the trains were absolutely dreadful today. The whole public transport was unable to cope with the snow that was coming down. I thought that I would try to get to college in time, it should be possible, but then I got a call that I could just stay at home, half the class was stuck in traffic or public transport and trains weren't going at all in some places.

Apparently, around noon no buses were going anymore and from Leiden Central there was only one train going to the Hague Central. This are the days that I get really annoyed with the Dutch Railways (NS), they even had tv ads in the beginning of the autumn that they were ready for the winter. As soon as the slightest bit of snow fell down trains were stuck and a huge amount of obstructions going on these past few weeks, added to that the main office in Utrecht had a fire that lead to control failure over 20% of the rail road network. The snowfall of today caused the bus company to halt the buses and half the trains had major delays. If I wanted to go to college I had to cycle to the station on not-salted roads that were covered in snow and are slippery because there were no buses. Out of the three trains I can take only one actually drove with a delay of almost 20 minutes, this one only goes once every half an hour. Same for when going back from college, but I was supposed to meet up with my parents in town for dinner because of my brother's birthday. After that I had to cycle back in the dark and cold with slush frozen up, walking half the way. I am so glad that I didn't go, it would have been hell. I just hope that I don't get in trouble with college stuff for not going.

But the trains are winterready, RIGHT!!


[I just realised that my itunes no longer know the meaning of shuffle, it just repeats the same 20 songs over and over again, bloody random songs]

No comments: