What if we all were dancing to eachother’s feet, wouldn’t we all become the same, slaves to eachother without ever knowing? The game of life is to astonish everyone by exceeding the limits others have set for you, never take normal for enough, there is always a barrier to cross, a limit to push and enemies to make. There are enough people out there who are not only dancing to somebody else’s feet, but more so, clinging to their every word, every though, every opinion that ever slips their feeble minds. For crying out loud, we are not somebody else and we will never be them, be anyone but yourselves.
I know enough people, including myself, who have or are trying so hard to be the perfect person for everyone, to never provoke and for that matter exceed in being their selves. It is also not a game to become the most extravagance personality on this planet, Lady Gaga might be a wonderful person with wonderful ideas, but she had to become a freak of celeb-society to make herself be someone, to get herself heard, music- and opinion-wise.
I tell you and you probably already know, being yourself isn’t easy. Especially not when the real you is a freakshow and will heads turn by the slightest wimp of you. I have had my battles with myself, the eternal dilemma to be normal or to just go my own way. My opinions have always been my own, so why I wasn’t living up to my own idea of who I was on the outside, who my personality, my ego would look from the outside wasn’t the girl that walked around in jeans and sweaters. I wanted to be the girl in all-black, big boots and shredded shirts and hair to match. I became that girl because I knew that after all the bullying while trying to be somebody they wanted me to be I needed to be myself and nothing else.
Now, in my role as a professional student I don’t regret being myself. Meanwhile I dress in a more conservative style, plus the combat boots. I just happen to like the new revived 50’s, the big 90’s blouses and finding goth clothes that fit me is harder that anything else. That I wear mainstream clothes doesn’t mean I changed myself, my personality, I just tweaked it and followed one of my many dreams, the one in which I look like a hot 50’s gal with waist skirts and wide blouses. College doesn’t judge me on how I look, because I can wear the waist skirt, the fancy blouse and the colbert with poofy sleeves and wear combat boots and have my hair dyed pink. It’s the attitude that helps you along. If I want to get a job, I make sure that I am professional despite the hair, the hair is my personality, it is my gimmick, I take advantage of my personality.
Never change who you are, fight for who you want to be and never take no for an answer. It is not who people see from the outside, it is who you are from the inside, what battles you fight that make you wanted, for anything. If you really get into trouble, just say they should listen to Gaga, because I AM BORN THIS WAY. No, I am not a fan of hers if you ask me, I admire the product that is Lady Gaga, because nothing sells better that her it seems. So you, get your rainbow flag out, put your best boots on, dye your hair, strip naked, dance on the street, but by the great entities out there, BE YOU, not somebody else.
Thank you for listening.
1 comment:
Thank you for writing :)
Brilliant post!
Post a Comment