Tuesday, 21 June 2011

Dear Education Dilemma

Remember the question that everyone gets asked when they are young and naive? What do you want to be when you grown up? First off, that question is wrong because in my Neverland we never grow up, we just get to learn about reality and have to deal with it, so we lose our magical touch of innocence and bliss. I refuse to grow up, because the fun of life is to not care about reality every once in a while and take that flight to Neverland. So what did I wanted to be when I grew up? I wanted to be a singer, a teacher, a celebrity, someone with a pHD in something. Not long ago I wanted to become a professor in some sort of science, like you had in the old days, covered in dust in their own dimly lit rooms, researching the world of yesterday or trying to pry into the world of tomorrow.

I have never quite figured out what I wanted to be and they say I have all grown up. It is quite usual this days to either know what you want to be before you leave high school, or that is the whole plan of education, or not know what you want to be for an extra decade. I am none of the above, because even before I left high school I knew I just wanted to study some culture related science, I just want to have knowledge, I don't need any practical use of what I know, I just want to know. Now I am almost on that threshold of having to decide what I really want to study.

Media & Entertainment Management
Well, this is what I am actually studying already. It's the only study that offers an education that combines both knowledge of the media and entertainment business as well as practical knowledge on how to manage a band, produce a project, event or festival or work at a record label. To me, it is too practical, to me it is not challenging and half of it isn't really interesting. I am not the type that wants to manage, I have never had the urge to make something happen and actually go for it, why would it have changed now? Well, I got enough credits to go to the next year, but do I really want that? I will have to if I don't get enough credits to go to university and I guess I will only be a few points short. Next year there will be more management related courses, those are the courses that I really got troubles with because I am rubbish with numbers.

Cultural Anthropology and Development Sociology
This study brings me to one of my interests, what makes one culture different from another and how do those differences work in society. There is not only a language difference that is important but also the context of the words, but most of all all the culture and ideas that makes a tip on the forehead either a compliment or an offence. It started with my interest for Great Britain and the difference between America and Great Britain, I just love the hilarity of the differences that occur in the daily life of a couple or friends that consists of Americans and Brits.

English Language and Culture
You could call me an Anglomaniac, I got an insane love for Great Britain and the English language. It is some form of addiction, it makes me so happy inside to be busy with this language, the culture, anything that has to do with it. I have followed a study partly focussed on the English language and culture and I loved it, but unfortunately I failed all the other courses and the English literature course. I have no idea what I become if I did this study, for me it is not important. As I said before, I just want knowledge.

So, now I am a dilemma on what to do. It is after all these years still not easy to make a decision. It doesn't help that I am not good at makes them, either. So yes, this is my education dilemma and it is driving me nuts. Not only because I have to choose, but I still have to wait for my last resists to get graded. So what do you think I should do?

1 comment:

Mad Slav said...

Well, it's a difficult dilemma. As I can see Media & Entertainment Management isn't exactly the thing for you, and i have trouble with more mathematical courses too, so I know how big problem this can be and how difficult to pass some exams can get, so good luck with the credits. Hope you get enough for university. About the other two. Most of all, follow your heart - the thing that would be pleasurable for you to study. I'd probably choose Cultural Anthropology and Development Sociology as a broader study, introducing you to lots of different cultures and their interrelation. But if you have a really strong passion for the English language and culture and would feel satisfied in specializing exactly in them. If you have the needed long lasting passion and interest to concentrate all your eagerness for knowledge in them. Than maybe it is the thing for you. Anyway, it's always useful to examine the exact individual courses, you'll study in each of those subjects and see if it will all be of interest for you and if there isn't some too troublesome courses, like this English literature course you have failed. But you've probably done so. Don't know. Just follow your heart. In fact, I'm not very good at solving such educational dilemmas myself too.