From the corner a girl, about the same height as Alice came around the corner, her face covered in black streaks and the sunny blonde of her hair tucked away under a newsboy cap barely visible under the layer of soot. She saw the blonde girl leaning against the door of her apartment building, her head between her knees and dressed too cold for the night. With a little fear in her heart she walked up to her door, the other girl did not seem to notice her approach. She grabbed her keys from the inside pocket of her ragged coat and stepped towards the door.
“Excuse me, if you don’t move away from this door you will be rolling into the hallway in a few seconds.”
“I’m so sorry, I’m a, I, uh, I’m sorry” The face of Alice was shimmering from the few tears she shed pondering about her situation.
“Oh hon, you look like you could need a good cup of black tea.” The girl hesitated opening the door, she didn’t quite now what to do with the stranger now standing next to the door. The girl was obviously in some sort of trouble and she couldn’t help herself but try and help those around her.
“Just get up, I will brew you something hot and you can tell me your story.”
Alice was surprised by the friendly words this shiny face spoke. All the nightmares that had gone through her head seem to be outshone by this genuinely caring invitation of this stranger.
“Do come in.” the silk voice said as she opened the door to the stairwell.
The hall and the stairs were not new to her, but still she stood there awkwardly in front of the door waiting for the nightmare to stop and her mind wake up for this terrible dream.
“Silly, come in, you are only getting cold from standing outside and we are not allowed on the streets after four without a permit and you don’t want to get caught by the henchmen. “Oh, I completely forget,” she exclaimed while pulling Alice inside, “my name is Britt, what is yours?”
“I am, I am, Alice” she stuttered.
No comments:
Post a Comment