Top Ten Favourite Films (Suggested by Phoe but posted almost a week late)
10. and 9. Grindhouse double-feature
Technically this is not a film, it's a two film project consisting of the zombie flick Planet Terror and rather hilarious "chick" flick Deathproof. Both films are made in the grindhouse B-film style, known for its elaborate use of blood and gore. Filled with beautiful women and good music, directed by Rodriguez and Tarentino, these films are great to watch, sit back and eat chips with dips. Because there is nothing better than watching either zombies getting shot by a go-go dancer with one machine gun leg and one about women chasing and killing a maniac driver and eating snacks, they just go along like toothbrushes and sex.
Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDLaVGcoHMM
8. Ginger Snaps
This could also be categorised as one of those teenage chick flicks, but I really like Ginger Snaps. It begins as a coming of age film about two girls who are obsessed with death and turns into a werewolf story where become a woman equals to becoming a vicious killing machine with sharp teeth and claws. The special effects might not be top notch and the werewolf is rather fake but it has a good story and good acting. Ginger Snaps actually comes in three films and will take you from present coming of age to, getting locked up to the root of the story set in colonial times with Indians and camps.
Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uN86SzY5RCk
7. Lord of the Rings
You might wonder why so low on the list? Well I suck at making real list so I just put films in random order and I do really like Lord of the Rings but it's getting a bit old. After seeing all three of them for at least five times you are ready for something else. Yes, it has a beautiful story and Peter Jackson did a great job in translating Tolkien's ideas from paper to the screen. I am glad that I saw all three of them in the cinema, I was just old enough and I loved every minute of the beauty that came off the screen, minus my friends being total whimsy assholes. SUCK THAT UP YOU PUSSIES!! GET A FUCKING SPINE I WAS THE YOUNGEST OF YOU!
Trailer Fellowship of the Ring: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pki6jbSbXIY
6. Elizabeth
Beautiful historic drama, featuring, in my honest opinion, one of the most graceful women of hollywood: Cate Blanchet. Queen Elisabeth is of course a very interesting person, which is very well put on film. It shows how strong a woman she was and what she had to overcome to become the Queen everyone now admires her for. When you want to talk about old fashioned feminism talk about Elisabeth. She lead the people of England to a period of growth and wealth, the Golden Age. The costumes are so detailed and everything simply fits.
Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KOw9WPgays
5. The Lion King
Nostalgia you say? HELL YES. You must admit, though, The Lion King is one of Disney's best films. It is Hamlet poured into a Disney cup of children friendly candy sweetness. I still cry when little Simba gets send away by Scar, I laugh at the Hyenas, I feel sorry for Nala when she gets rejected by the adult Simba and I am relieved every time the King of Pride Rock returns. The genius music of Elton John, the lyrics of Time Rice and the clever use of Swahili and traditional sounds and songs from Africa. You got to love Disney, don't you?
OMG TRAILER: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNtbZf0JhmA
4. Pan's Labyrinth
A twisted faerie tale set in civil war ridden Spain. A girl who's pregnant mother is newly married to a Captain and mother and daughter are joining him somewhere in the mountains to wait for the baby to be born. the girl Ofelia gets lured into a faerie tale horror world where she will become the princess once again and has to undergo three tasks to be able to return to her kingdom, while outside the mill the guerillas fight in the mountains. Reality and Ofelia's dreamworld blend together and form a faerie tale for grown ups where nothing is what it seems and nothing that seems is what it is. Guillermo del Torro has made one of the most moving, thrilling, sense tingling Spanish film I have ever seen.
Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqYiSlkvRuw
3. Donnie Darko
I think this one is fairly well known. A reality and time bending story of a teenage boy played by Jake Gyllenhaal who is suffering from delusional thoughts. He meets the 9 feet tall bunny rabbit named Frank when he goes out on one of his sleep walks and there he learns that the world is going to end. When he comes home he finds that his bedroom has been vanished by a plane motor and he has escaped by sleep walking to the golf course. From that moment we learn about time travelling, the truth behind people and the truth about life. Because we all die alone.
Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6LkdL8THFo
2. Repo! the Genetic Opera
This is the real deal, fuck Repomen, that one is just a rip-off from this one. Learn what happens when organs fail, a organ market gets opened and a powerful men wants revenge. A bloody stage show rapped into a rock musical filled with highly talented people like Sarah Brightman, Alexa Vega and Anthony Steward Head. Blood, Organs and a horror opera in a rock opera. Who doesn't like songs about organ replacement, fighting your genetics and murder. All set into a world where plastic surgery is like getting your hair done and organs are available for a fee, but be warned, if you can't pay a repoman will come and you'll pay for that surgery.
Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzgpU25C6fg
1. The Crow
Stereotypical #1 film? I do not think so, it's has just become a sort of cult classic. I had to dig around to find it here and when I got my hands on it I was more than pleasantly surprised. It does not only have a solid story about sweet revenge and caring for the ones you love but also one of the most amazing soundtracks. Brandon Lee did an amazing job as the post-mortem revived person, he just gave the film that little extra. I feel sad every time I think of the fact that he is no longer with us and that he would have become huge after this film, he, however, never got the chance.
Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSzo-F9fIbU
P.S. Post here your ideas for the next Top 10 List! Just put it in a comment and I'll read.






No comments:
Post a Comment